Sunday 21 October 2012

-Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm-

~Winston Churchill~

They always say life is full of ups and downs, like an irregular sinusoidal function. Sometimes, I really do wonder about the truth of that statement. Nevertheless, reality is harsh, so we just have to suck it up and repeating the cycle of falling and rising. Ever since that day 3 years back, thanks to Churchill's quote, I convinced myself that once I'm in, I'll never run away. It really brings back memories, that day..when I first decided to pursue engineering. Since then, there's been few ups and many downs. Nevertheless, the only way through was to suck it up and convince ourselves that those few ups are worth the fall. 

When I look back at all those less successful moments, I just can't help but wonder...how did I do that? Like seriously? Just reminiscing those moments feels like a pie being thrown to your face.

  A facepalm in disguise


 You just stone there; your brain unable to process anything before resuming the reaction you would naturally give like "what the **** just happened?"

Recently, I once again experienced it; that huge facepalm in disguise. A midterm. Economics. 'Wow...that's it?' You might be asking. Sometimes, it doesn't matter how failure comes to you. A whooping 18%. Wow...it's been a while since I got that...wait a sec, 18%? *Five minutes into stoning at the laptop screen*  What was that? It's those moments where your brain goes blank, everything goes pitch black, silent. You can't see, hear, nor think of anything. An empty dimension. Once I regained my senses, it didn't took long before my brain lost interest in what I was doing; studying. Not a very pleasant thing to experience on a Saturday morning when you have two university-level midterms coming at you the coming Monday and Tuesday. 

So, I stopped studying for an hour, two hours, 3 hours. I just wanted to clear my head for a bit and asked myself that one question I asked myself once before, "Why did I chose engineering?" No answer. While tuning my brain to different frequencies to listen to different channels of my mind, the background abruptly turned all white. Somewhere in the background stood a table, and a chair with a plumpish figure sitting on it. I approached the table and saw Mr. Churchill, enjoying his scrumptious-looking cream pie. Suddenly, a chair stood next to me, facing opposite him. I decided to have a seat and stare at him digging into his feast like a lion that hasn't ate meat for a decade. With specks of cream all over his face, he looked up to me and said three words; Suck It Up.

Just hearing those three words was more than what I was looking. Human beings go through obstacles all the time. The harsher the fall, the better we learn. I got up from bed, and looked at my laptop, at the 100 pages of process engineering texts I'll be reading. Haha, after what I've been through...that's it? Bring it. 


No comments:

Post a Comment